Leipzig 1808 – 1881
Moses arms held up by Aaron and Hur, 1835
(Moses Gebet bei der Amelikiter Schlacht) EXODUS 17: 8–16
Canvas 130 x 173 cm
Bought from the artist by the Sächsische Kunstverein, 1836
Exhibited in the Dresdner Kunstausstellung 1836, where acquired by
Amalie Auguste (1801-1877), Queen of Saxony, née Prinzessin von Bayern;
by inheritance to her granddaughter Maria Josepha (Dresden 31.5. 1867 – Schloss Wildenwart, Upper Bavaria 28.5. 1944), princess of Saxony, archduchess of Austria;
(by inheritance -?-) to Altgräfin Gabriële Salm (1941 – 1985);
acquired (Übernahme) from the Altgräfin Salm by the Sammlungen des Fürsten von und zu Liechtenstein, Vaduz-Wien (inv. Nr. GE 2430);
deaccessioned by the Sammlungen as “Italian School, 19th century”, 2008
Bilder-Chronik des Sächsischen Kunstvereins Dresden, 1836, with a print after the picture by Ernst Christian Stölzel; the print also illustrated in Bärbel Kovalevski, Die Bilder-Chronik des Sächsischen Kunstvereins Dresden 1828-1836, Frankfurt a.M. 2010 (Fichter), pp. 350 – 352;
F. v. Boetticher, Malerwerke des 19. Jahrh. I (1895), p. 605, s.v. no. 4;
Thieme – Becker XVIII, s.v. p. 331/332 (with extensive lit. on the painter)
Münchener Kunstausstellung 1835;
Dresden, Dresdner akademische Kunstausstellung, 1836
Princess Maria Josepha of Saxony was married to Archduke Otto Franz of Austria, the brother of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, who was murdered in Sarajewo in 1914. Their son Karl (d. 1922) was the last Emperor of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. After the dissolution of the Empire, all members of the Habsburg family went into (forced) exile.
The fate of our picture remains unclear after the end of the First World War. It may be assumed that it stayed behind in Austria after the Imperial family had left the country. It is unknown how it passed into the hands of Altgräfin Gabriële Salm (1941 – 1985), though the Salm family is directly related to the Habsburgs (through the Teschen branch).
By the time the picture was acquired by the Liechtenstein collections from the Altgräfin, it had lost the name of its author but not that of its illustrious previous owner, as is recorded by the Liechtenstein archives where the inventory states that an old label on the frame read: “Übernahme von Frau Altgräfin Gabriele Salm, Besitz IKK Hoheit Frau (?) Erzhzg. Maria Josepha” (Acquired from Altgräfin Gabriele Salm, property of Her Imperial and Royal Highness Archduchess Maria Josepha).
It was not until last year that we were able to re-establish its authorship through the print by Stölzl we found in Bärbel Kovalevski’s book on the Sächsische Kunstverein.
We are greatly indebted to the staff of the Princely Liechtenstein Collections in establishing the provenance of this picture.